- 958 Lionhena, Birch.
- 1086 Lene, Dom. Of the three portions of Lene, in the 12th and 13th centuries, Kingeslene was a Rectory, Monkeslene belonging to the Abbey of Conches, and Erleslene to that of Lyre, had Vicars only.
- 1243 Urselane, T. de Nevill.
- 1278 Erleslone, Ep. Reg.
- 1291 Erleslene, Tax. Eccles.
- 1302 Erleslone, Quo War.
- 1303 Erslon, F.A.
- 1321 Erleslonde, Ep. Reg.
- 1326 Erleslonde, Ep. Reg.
- 1332 Erselane, Ep. Reg.
- 1341 Erslone, Non. Inq.
- 1529 Ereslond, Ind. Ct R.
- 1538 Erislonde, Val. Eccles.
- 1577 Aresland, Saxton's Map.
- 1610 Areland, Speed's Map.
- circ.1660 Aresland, Silas Taylor.
- 1786 Eardsland, Taylor's Map.
- 1786 'Erislonde, alias Eardisland, alias Areland', John Bacon, 'Liber Regis'.
There seems no reason to doubt that this is, as tradition says, Earl's Lene from O.E. Eorl. The 16th and 17th century forms in Are- are due to assimilation with Arrow, the river on the banks of which Eardisland is situated. For the second element see Lene.
- circ.1030 Cyrdeslea, A.C.
- 1086 Herdeslege, Dom.
- 1199 Herdesleya, Llant. Chart.
- 1233 Erdelegh, Writ.
- 1252 Eiardeleye, Chart. R.
- 1277 Erdeslege, Ep. Reg.
- 1291 Erdesleye, Tax. Eccles.
- 1322 Ardesleye, Ep. Reg.
- 1341 Erdesley, Non. Inq.
'Meadow of Eard-red or -wulf ' (both very common).
Cf. Eardiston (Worcs.) which is Dom. Ardolvestone, 'tun of Eardwulf'.
- 1220 'locus qui vocatur Estlege', Brec. Cart.
- 1086 Astenofre, Dom.
- 1140 Estenovere, MS. Chart.
- 1241 Estenoure, Chart. R.
- 1241 Estenoure, Ep. Reg.
- 1277 Estenore, Ep. Reg.
- 1287 Estenovere, Hp. Reg.
- 1291 Estenor, Tax. Eccles.
- 1341 Estenore, Non. Inq.
- 1538 Estnor, Val. Eccles.
The first element may be the pers. name Ast (an Ast was 'Regulus Worc'. in 956), or it may be O.E. ast, 'oast' or 'kiln'. For the second element see App. -over.
- 1086 Etune, Dom.
- 1291 Eton, Tax. Eccles.
- 1341 Eton Episcopi, Non. Inq.
O.E. ea-tun, 'tun on the river'.
- 1086 Estone, Dom. This Estone is evidently in or near Leominster, and J.H.R. thinks it is probably Eaton Hill.
- 1123 Eatuna, Leom. Cart.
- 1420 'Hulle of Eton', Inq. p.m.
- circ.1300 Ekelswelle, Delimitation.
- 1302 Eccleswalle, Quo War.
- 1303 Ekleswall, F.A.
- 1646 Egglesole, Sequest. Order.
Some have connected the first element with the Welsh eglwys, 'church'. The second element shows (as in Crasswall and often) the change from -welle, through M.E. -wale, into -wall.
- 1086 Gedeven, Dom.
- 1123 Gedesfenna, Leom. Cart.
- 1243 Yedefen, T. de Nevill.
- 1267 Yedefen Loges, Ep. Reg.
- 1278 Yadefen, Ep. Reg.
- 1291 Yeddefenne Radh', Zedefenne Loges, Tax. Eccles.
- 1303 Yedefen, F.A.
- 1304 Yadefen, Ep. Reg.
- 1324 Yedevenne, Abb. Plac.
- 1328 Zeddefen, Ep. Reg.
- 1341 Edefen Rad'i, Non. Inq.
- 1349 'Ecclesia de Yddefen haut', Ep. Reg.
- 1355 'Alta Yeddefen', Ep. Reg.
- 1392 'Hye Zedefen', Ep. Reg.
- 1431 Yedfen, F.A.
- 1529 Edewyn, Ind. Ct R.
- 1538 Edvyne Radulphi, Val. Eccles.
- 1577 Edwinrafe, Saxton's Map.
No one has attempted a suggestion as to the meaning of the word Edvin. Nor do we know who was the Ralph, after whom one parish is called. The other was held by the De Loges family in the 13th century.
- 1086 Edwardestune, Dom.
- 1219 Eglintune, Capes.
- circ.1230 Eglintune, Capes.
- 1252 Eglington, Chart. R.
- 1302 Eglynton', Quo War.
- 1304 Eglintone, Ep. Reg.
- 1538 Egilton, Eiglynton, Val. Eccles.
- 1831 Eagleton, Ord. Map.
'Tun of Aegel'.
- 1219 Highen, Capes.
- circ.1219 Yghene, MS. Chart.
- 1252 Hyane, Ep. Reg.
- 1264 'Zizene alias Ighene', Heref. Corp. MS.
- 1271 Ighene, Chart. R.
- 1293 Zeyne, Heref. Corp. MS.
- 1294 Yegne, Ep. Reg.
- 1316 'Yeyene Mulle', Ep. Reg.
- 1368 Yeyne, Ep. Reg.
- 1538 Yne, Val. Eccles.
- circ.1550 Ine, Leland.
No one has ventured to guess at the meaning or origin of this name, which still persists as Eign Street, Eign Road, Eign Brook, Eign Mill, etc.
- 1086 Elburgelega, Dom.
No old forms. Probably 'Aylmer's End'. There is in 1355 an Aylmoresbrok near the Wye.
On the road leading to the next-mentioned farm (q.v.), and therefore evidently of the same derivation. The Glos. Elmbridge is circ. 1200 Telbrugge, or Thelbrugge, 'bridge made of deal' (later Thel- was read as Th'El). The Surrey Elmsbridge is Dom. Amelebrige, 'bridge of Aemele' (a personal name). The Worcs. Elmbridge is in 13th century Elmrugge, 'ridge with the elm-trees on it'.
- circ.1216 Heaume, Dore Chart.
- 1642 The Helm, MS. deed.
- 1831 Elm House, Ord. Map.
O. Fr. heaume, 'helmet'; gradually corrupted into the tree.
- 1086 Elnodestune, Dom.
'Aelnoth's tun'. There is an unidentified Alnodestreu in the Shropshire Dom., and Elnod (i.e. Aelnoth) is a holder of lands under Earl Roger.
Cf. (in Warwcs.) 'terra quae dicitur Alnodestona', Glos. Cart.
- 1086 Elsedune, Dom.
Probably 'hill of Ealhsige'. For second element see App. -don.
- 1086 Elintune, Dom.
- 1356 Elton, Ep. Reg.
- 1577 Ladyhaulton, Saxton's Map.
It is possibly the Elvitheduna of the Leom. Cart. which is not identifiable with certainty. Elton is a wide-spread place- name, found in Derbs., Notts., Durham, Hunts., Lancs., and other counties. Some of these are 'Ella's tun'; Hunts. Elton (Dom. Adelintune) is from O.E. Aethelinga, 'Prince-town'. The form on Saxton's Map, which is undoubtedly Elton, is inexplicable. There is an Elton's Marsh in Burghill.
- 1443 Evaston, Iverston, Inq. p.m.
- circ.1650 'Elverston or Everstone', Harl. MS.
- 1722 'Evaston near Harwood', Terrier.
- 1831 Everston, Ord. Map.
According to local legend 'Elfrida's town'. It might be 'Eof's tun', or from O.E. efes, 'the border or edge or end of anything', in which case it would be 'tun on the edge' (i.e. of the wood). Walter de Lacy gave to Gloucester Abbey the Church of Alwestone (unidentified).
A frequent element in Herefordshire place-names. We have the hamlets of Harewood End, Sinton End (Acton Beauchamp), Ellmorsend (Whitbourne), Redding End, Hall End, and in 1547 Witocksyende (Much Marcle). In Acton Beauchamp is Tythingsend Farm; and in Cradley is Vinesend Farm. For the eight places or farms called Townend or Townsend see Town. Wallend is in Monkland, and in Stoke Prior. In Ledbury, of the long central street, about a mile and a half long, only some two hundred yards are High Street, the rest being 'The Homend' and 'The Southend'. Close by is Hope End. In Weston-Beggard are Hill End and Moor End, and in Yatton Westnor's End. Nash End is in Bosbury, Nupend in Munsley, Moorend, Millend, and Birchend in Castle Frome, New End in Canon Pyon, and Biblin's End in Goodrich. In Cowarne in 1538 (Val. Eccles.) are More Yende, Hyll Yende, Bridge Yende, and Wych Yende: this last is still called Red Witch End (a good instance of the results of popular etymology).
Enna and Eni are pers. names in Onom. But without old forms it is unwise to guess.
I cannot trace it beyond the 1831 Ord. Map. Not far away is a hamlet and inn called England's Gate. One is tempted to see in these names an old frontier, as in Pensax further north, which is plausibly interpreted by Welsh scholars as Pen Sais, or Saeson, 'the Englishmen's end', or 'limit'.
- 1243 Erdishop, T. de Nevill.
The first element (as in Eardisley) is Eard-red or -wulf. For the second element see App. -hope.
- 1232 Eskelyn, Dore Chart.
Wise students refuse to discuss river-names; but one is tempted to connect this word with the Celtic root from which come Exe, Usk, Ock, and Ax-ona (now the Aisne).
Leading to the hamlet of Eaton, it is said locally to be Eaton-ham Street.
- 1086 Edtune, Dom.
- 1100 Etuna, Glos. Cart.
- 1196 Ethone, Glos. Cart.
- 1222 Ettone, Glos. Cart.
- 1283 Etone, Ep. Reg.
- 1316 Eton Tregos, F.A
- 1431 Eton et Tregoys, F.A.
The Tregoz family held Ewyas (with which went Eton and Foy) for about a century, from before 1194 to 1300, when the male line died out.
- 1086 Sbech, Dom.
- 1243 Esebach, T. de Nevill.
- 1291 Esebach, Tax. Eccles.
- 1308 Esebache, Ep. Reg.
- 1316 Essbache, F.A.
- 1341 Esbache, Non. Inq.
- 1495 Esbache, Plac. de Banco.
- 1577 Easbache, Saxton's Map.
- 1652 Eastbach, Survey.
- 1757 Evesbatch, Tombstone in Bromsberrow Church.
- 1787 Eavesbach, Taylor's Map.
Esbatch is still the local pronunciation and on the pewter alms-dish in the church it is spelt Esbedg. Esa and Ese are pers. names in Onom. Or the first element may be Ash. (Ash Ingen is Esse is 1250. Shrop. Ashford is Dom. Esseford. See also various forms of Ash under Brom's Ash.) It cannot be efts, 'edge', since the v only appears in the middle of the 18th century. There is an Eastbatch Court in English Bicknor. In the Shropshire Dom. we find Stope for Easthope. For second element see Bache.
- 1086 Ewias, Dom.
- circ.1130 Euwias, Euias, Ewias, Eugias, Lib. Land.
- 1167 Euwias, Pipe R.
- circ.1200 Ewias, Ewyas, Girald. Camb.
- circ.1300 Euas, Black Bk of Carmarthen.
- circ.1550 Ewis, Leland.
All authorities, English and Welsh, without hesitation pronounce the word Ewyas to be not of English origin, and the Welsh authorities believe it to be pre-Celtic. No serious student would even hazard a conjecture as to its derivation or meaning. The oldest form seems to be Euwias. Practically the only form in purely Welsh writings is Euas. In the year-books of Ed. I and Ed. III we find usually Ewyas (evidently due to Norman influence), and since that time the two spellings Ewias and Ewyas have existed side by side, the latter being the more commonly used. The modern pronunciation is something between the Welsh form Euas and Leland's Ewis. The Harold, after whom the village is called since at least 1303 (F.A. Euiwias Harraud), is not, as popular tradition insists, Harold the King, son of Godwine, but Harold of Ewias, son of that Earl Ralph, the Confessor's nephew, who fled before the Welsh, in the battle outside Hereford in 1055.
- 1291 'Eya cum capellis suis', Tax. Eccles.
- 1341 'Eya cum capellis suis', Non. Inq.
O.E. ig, 'island'. The name was applied to any piece of land near water, or to a marsh: it does not, of necessity, signify 'island' in the modern sense. In compounds it is often confused with ea, 'river', and it is practically impossible to distinguish whether -ey in any given name represents ea or ig. Wyld thinks they were confused, certainly in form, and possibly in meaning, even in the O.E. period. There is in Eye parish an Eyecote, and an Eyewood in Titley.
- 1086 Ettone, Dom.
J.H.R. gives this identification as probable, but not certain. Eyton (Salop) is Dom. Etune: and the Yorks. Aytons are Dom. Aton or Atune. It is doubtful whether to read Eyton as O.E. ea-tun, 'river town', or O.E. ig (later ey), 'islet-town' (ait-town). See Eye above. It is difficult to explain the difference in form of Eyton (Dom. Ettone), Eaton (Dom. Etune), and Eton (Dom. Edtune). In Shrops. Dom. Etone is now Hatton, while Etune has become Eyton.Return to top of page