- 1603 Saddlebowe, Local Will.
The hill is evidently so called from its shape.
- 1291 Ecclesia Sancti Dubricii, Tax. Eccles.
- 1341 Ecclesia Sancti Tybricii, Non. Inq.
- 1428 Ecclesia Sancti Dubricii, F.A.
In Woolhope as late as 1514 there is a Sacella Sancti Dubritii, which explains the still existing Devereux Park and Devereux Pool. The present form of the name is one of the few traces we have of N.-Fr. influence on the pl.-ns. of the county. That these influences are so few is the more strange, seeing that Herefordshire was the most thoroughly Normanized of all the English counties.
- circ. 113o Lann Sant Guainerth, Lib. Land.
- circ. 1150 Ecclesia Sancti Wenarch, Brec. Cart.
- 1291 Ecclesia Sancti Waynard, Tax. Eccles.
- 1330 Ecclesia Sancti Warnardi, Capes.
- 1341 Seint Waynard, Non. Inq.
From the 1330 entry we learn that St Weonards, with Llangarren and Hentland, were chapelries dependent on Lugwardine. Nothing much is known of St Gwennarth.
- 1086 Salberga, Dom.
J.H.R. cannot identify; so I hesitate to suggest Sawbery (q.v.).
Without old forms it is hard to say even whether this word is Welsh or English. Kinnersley, though not far from a district in which names are mainly Welsh, has English names, for the most part, all round it. The connection, therefore, which suggests itself is with O.E. seal, salh, or salig, 'a willow', which is the first element in Salford, Salwick, etc.
- circ. 1200 Joh. de Salso Marisco, Glos. Cart.
- 1347 Cecilia de Salso Marisco, Ep. Reg.
- 1138 Sapy, Glos. Cart.
- 1291 Sapy, Tax. Eccles.
- 1291 Sape, Chart. R.
- 1304 Villata de Sapy et Pirie, Ep. Reg.
- 1341 Sapy, Non. Inq.
O.E. saepige, 'spruce-fir'. Sapness in Woolhope (of which we have no old forms) is possibly akin in origin, though the 1831 Ord. Map unaccountably calls it Sharpnage.
- 1086 Sarnesfelde, Dom.
- 1123 'de utraque Sernesfelda', Leom. Cart.
- 1291 Sarnefeld, Tax. Eccles.
- 1316 Sarnesfeud, Sarnesford, F.A.
- 1341 Sarnesfeld, Non. Inq.
- 1346 Sarnesfeld Roger, F.A.
- 1428 Sarnesfeld, F.A.
The first element seems to be O.E. sarnes, 'sorrow', which would give 'field of sorrow' as the meaning. It might be 'field on the ridgeway', but this is unlikely, being a hybrid.
- 1086 Sargeberie, Dom.
- 1286 Saresbury, Ep. Reg.
In 1243 there is a Salebir somewhere in this neighbourhood, which, in view of the wild spelling of T. de Nevill, we are justified in taking as referring to Sawbery.
'Farm on the shoot or watercourse'. See Scutt below, and -wardine in Appendix.
So in Price's Map 1802. Probably akin to O.E. sceotan, 'to shoot'. See also Cockskoot and Havod. Middendorf says it is O.E. scytte, 'a dam, weir'. The Shuts is a place in Aymestrey.
The family of Seabourne held lands in Sutton for about a century circ. 1540-1640. It is always hard to say whether the place takes its name from the family, or the family from the place. Usually, of course, it is the latter, probably here the former. Seabourne is still a surname in the county.
- circ. 1130 Lann Sulac, Lib. Land.
- 1301 Selak, Inq. p.m.
- 1391 Sellac, Ep. Reg.
- circ. 1550 'Beysham alias Cellach', Leland.
'Church of St Teseliachus' (Welsh Sulac) to whom the church is still dedicated. The village was once Baysham (q.v.), and Sellack the name only of the church. The quotation from Leland shows the change of name at work. Now Sellack is the village, and Baysham (Court) a farm therein.
- 1635 Sellars Broke, Courtfield MS.
- 1410 'venella vocata Serlondslone', Capes.
There is an unidentified Sirland in Leom. Cart.
- 1086 Scelwiche, Dom.
- 1275 Selwyke, Ep. Reg.
- 1302 Shewyk, Quo War.
- 1316 'Holmare Shelwyk Villa', F.A.
- 1348 Schelwyk, Ep. Reg.
- 1538 Shelwike, Val. Eccles.
'The wick of Scula' or 'of Scealc' (both names in Onom.).
The first element may be O.E. scearn, 'dung'. But it is more probably a variant of Swinmoor, which is hard by.
- ante 1272 Shirnhurste, Shernhurste, Wormesley Charter.
For second element see Appendix.
- 1086 Sirelei, Dom.
- 1529 Shurley, Aug. Of.
Probably O.E. scir leah, 'shire meadow', i.e. meadow on the boundary. Shirley (Derbs.) is also Dom. Sirelei. Shirburn (Oxfs.) and Shearwater (Wilts.) are from O.E. adj. scir, 'bright, clear'.
- 1086 Scepedune, Dorn.
- 1243 Solbedune, T. de Nevill.
- 1291 Sobbedon, Scobedon, Tax. Eccles.
- 1334 Schobbedone, Ep. Reg.
- 1341 Shobbedon, Non. Inq.
- 1346 Shobbeden, Ep. Reg.
'Hill of Sceoba'.
In 1722 Showle is one of the 'Liberties' of Wormelow. See for the others, under Lugharness.
- 1377 Shokenhulle, Ep. Reg.
O.E. scuccan-hyll, 'devil's hill'.
- 1279 Schittinton, Fine R.
- 1291 Schytrincton, Tax. Eccles.
- 1331 Shutynton, Feet of Fines.
- 1542 Shutton, Orig. R.
'Tun of Scytta'. Kemble has Scyttandun and Scyttanmere.
'Tun of Sida', or 'of the sons of Sida. Cf. Sidanham (in Kemble).
- 1270 'in hamleto de Suthenhale', Glos. Cart.
A later entry, undated, spells it Sudenhale, and yet another Suthale; and a Heref. Cath. MS. temp. Hen. I Sudenhale.
'South-meadow'. The first element is O.E. suthern. For second element see Appendix, -hall.
- 1831 Sin Green, Ord. Map.
Possibly (though we have no old forms) it is equivalent to Croft-y-Saes, 'the Englishman's croft'.
- circ. 1130 Iscirit, Lib. Land.
The W. adjec. ys-gyryd is 'rough', 'rugged'.
There is in Goodrich in 1674 'a coppice-grove called Disp Slade'.
O.E. slaed, 'a valley'.
Folk-lore, of course, says it is the site of a great battle between Britons and Romans. Possibly, like the village of Slaughter (Glos.), it is O.E. slag-treo, 'sloe-tree'.
There is circ. 1270 a Smalemede in Brampton Abbotts.
- 1291 'Capella in Castro de Snodhull', Tax. Eccles.
- 1327 Snodhull, Plac. de Banco.
- 1341 Capella de Snodhull, Non. Inq.
- 1540 Snothill, Aug. Of.
- circ. 1550 Snothil, Leland.
'Hill of Snot, Snodd, or Snodda'.
Snodland (Kent) is in 838 (Birch) Snoddingland, 'land of Snodda's sons'. Nottingham is Dom. Snotingeham, 'ham of Snodda's sons'.
- 1410 Sneogeasshe, Inq. p.m.
- 1086 Hope, Dom.
- 1243 Hope Solers, T. de Nevill.
- 1291 Hopesolers, Tax. Eccles.
- 1303 Hope Solers, F.A.
- 1319 Solershope, Ep. Reg.
The family of Solers or de Solariis held lands in Herefs., Glos., and Salop early in 14th century. In Herefordshire we have Bridge Sollers (q.v.), Hopton Solers, Solers Dilwyn; and, in Salop, Neen Sollars.
M.E. sough, 'a drain'; now pronounced suf, but formerly the guttural was sounded, hence Sugwas. But the suf- form is also early, as in Sufton, and perhaps Suffield.
- 1300 'ad pontem de Suthbrugge in suburbio Herefordie', Ep. Reg.
There is also Little Spout House in Orleton: and in 1832 a marriage settlement mentions 'Spout piece in Ganerew'.
- 1539 Stagbeache, Aug. Of.
- 1086 Stanege, Dom.
- 1252 Stanegge, Chart. R.
- 1271 Stanegge, Ep. Reg.
- 1577 Standish, Saxton's Map.
The second element is O.E. ecg, 'an edge', 'Stone edge'. Cf. Cressage (Shrops.). There is in 1223 a 'terra de hadenegge' in Brinsop.
- 1086 Stane, Dom.
- 1243 Kingestanford, T. de Nevill.
- 1316 Stanford Episcopi, F.A.
- 1512 Kyngestonford, Fine R.
'Stone-ford'; i.e. paved; or perhaps provided with stepping- stones for foot-passengers.
'Valley of stones'. For second element see Appendix.
So in 1206, in Cart.
'Stony wood'. For second element see Appendix.
- 1400 Stanke, Acon. Accts.
Cf. (in E. H. Cart.) 'amunder le estanke del molyn'. Hampton Bishop Stank was the subject of a lawsuit by the Bishop against the tenant in 1637 for repairs to the Dam. Circ. 1250 a Reginald de Stanklak is mentioned in an Ep. Reg.
'Valley of stones'. For second element see Appendix, -bache.
- 1086 Stanewei, Dom.
'Stone-way', 'road paved with stones'. (Leintwardine is on the Roman road from Wroxeter to Caerleon.)
- 1086 Stapel, Stapleset, Dom.
- 1328 Stepilton, Ep. Reg.
- 1335 Stepultone, Ep. Reg.
The old forms suggest O.E. stypel, stepel, or stipel, 'a steeple, tower'. It may, however, be O.E. stapol, 'a pole, post'. Stapleton (Lancs.) is Dom. Stopel-, and no forms in Stepel- are found. Shrops. Stepple is Dom. Steple.
- 958 'Stantun in pago Magesaetna', Birch.
- 1086 Stantune, Dom.
- 1280 Over Staunton, Nethere Staunton, Chart. R.
- 1291 Stanton, Tax. Eccles.
- 1341 Staunton, Non. Inq. There is also in 1341 a Staunton in the Deanery of Archenfield.
- 1086 Standune, Dom.
- 1243 Standun, T. de Nevi11.
- 1255 Stonden, Coram Rege R.
- 1283 Staundon, Plac. de Banco.
- 1291 Standon, Tax. Eccles.
- 1291 Staundon, Chart. R.
- 1303 Staunton, F.A.
- 1341 Staundon, Non. Inq.
The strange persistence of the -don forms in Staunton-on-Wye suggests a difference of origin. But there is no hill, stone- or otherwise, in the parish. Both names are probably O.E. stan tun, 'stone-built tun'. There are more than twenty Stantons in England, and seven Stauntons. In these the u shows Norman influence.
'The Stensley' in 1810.
There is an O.E. word stenys, 'stone-quarries', which may be the first element.
- 1316 'Molendinum de Stintemulle in suburbio Herefordie', Ep. Reg.
- 1657 The Stobell, Llandinabo Par. Reg.
- 1335 Stokkynge, Ep. Reg.
No date Le Stockynge, Leom. Cart.
There is nothing to show to which place these entries refer. 'Stoking' seems to have been a generic term for any land stocked or ridded. In a 12th century Brecon Charter an agreement is made 'de duabus acris...et de bissupestoking...et de stoking juxta finchesleye' (in Talgarth).
- 1123 Stokes, Leom. Cart.
There is another Stocks in Avenbury, and a Stocks Lane. Stockmoor is in Dilwyn.
- 1086 Stoctune, Dom.
- 1123 Stochtuna, Leom. Cart.
- 1291 Stockton, Tax. Eccles.
O.E. stoc, 'a stake'. Tun with stocks or stakes around it'.
- 1300 Stokwelle, Ep. Reg.
- 1291 Stokeblez, Tax. Eccles.
- 1302 Stoke Bleys, Ep. Reg.
- 1303 Stok Bleez, F.A.
- 1316 Stok de Bley, F.A.
- 1341 Stokebles, Non. Inq.
- 1431 Stoke blees, F.A.
- 1529 Stocke Blys, Ind. Ct R.
There is a Bliss Hall in Staunton-on-Wye, which in Leom. Cart. is Villa de Bleez. A family of Bliss or Blez held this Stok in the 13th century.
- 1086 Stoches, Dom.
- 1278 Stoke Edith, Ep. Reg.
- 1291 Stok Edith, Tax. Eccles.
- 1302 Edithestok, Quo War.
- 1341 Stok Edith, Non. Inq.
O.E. stoc, 'a stake'; then, says Bosworth, 'a staked-in, fenced place'. But Skeat thinks perhaps a log-hut. There are 63 Stokes in Dom., 31 written Stoche, and 32 Stoches.
Tradition says this Stoke takes its name from 'Saint Edith', but, as there are several Saints of that name, tradition cannot choose between them. Dom. says it belonged to Queen Edith, the widow of the Confessor.
- 1288 Stoke Lacy, Ep. Reg.
- 1291 Stoke Lacy, Tax. Eccles.
- 1341 Stoklacy, Non. Inq.
The Lacies were the chief holders of Herefordshire lands in the 11th century, their possessions filling more than five columns in Dom. Apparently they had not obtained Stoke in 1086.
- ante 1038 Stoce, Kemble.
- 1086 Stoches, Stoca, Dom.
The Prior is of Leominster Priory.
So in 1831 Ord. Map. But the 'Castle' seems to have been invented by 18th century antiquarians.
- temp. Hen. III Storugge, Harl. MS.
See Appendix, -stow.
- 1086 Stradel [Hundred], }
- Vallis Stradelie, }
- Vallis Stradelei, } Dom.
- Vallis Stratelie, }
- circ. 1100 Straddele, Flor. Worc.
- 1338 Stradhull, Stradylvale, Ind. Ct R.
- 1465 Straddull, Ind. Ct R.
The whole of what is now the Golden Valley was once called Straddle. But now the name only survives in the farm of Monnington Stradel, and Stradel Bridge, both in Vowchurch. Prof. Lloyd thinks Stradel may be a corruption of some form of Ystrad-Dour, 'valley of the (river) Dore'. But Eg. Phil. says the Dom. forms 'seem to make this nearly impossible'.
There is an inexplicable entry in Bishop Swinfield's Register 1294, 'apud Straddele in Blakemonstone'. For Blakemonstone (now Blackmarston, q.v.) is a suburb of Hereford.
But for a well-founded distrust of hybrids, one would be tempted to say Welsh ystrad (Lat. strata) and O.E. weg. The first element is perhaps O.E. straede, 'a stride'.
- 1086 Lestret, Dom.
- 1243 Strete, T. de Nevill.
- no date Capella de Strete, Leom. Cart.
- 1291 Capella de Streta, Tax. Eccles.
- 1341 Capella de Streta, Non. Inq.
King Street Farm in Ewyas Harold was so called before 1300. A farm in Allensmore is called Woodstreet and another in Withington is called Duck Street.
- 1086 Stratford, Stradford, Dom.
- 1086 Stratford, Dom.
- 1291 St'ford, Tax. Eccles.
- 1327 Stretford-by-Monklene, Plac. de Banco.
- 1341 Stratford, Non. Inq.
O.E. straet-ford, 'ford where the Roman road crosses a stream'.
- 1275 Ecclesia de Strattone et Capella de Aspertone, Ep. Reg.
- 1283 Strattone in Strattonesdale, Ep. Reg.
- 1291 Stretton et Asperton, Tax. Eccles.
- 1335 Stretton in Strettonesdale, Ep. Reg.
- 1341 Stretton & Asp'ton, Non. Inq.
- 1350 Stretton Graundison, Ep. Reg.
'Tun on the Roman road'. The village lies at the point where the Roman road which runs eastward from Kenchester (passing through Stretton Sugwas) comes to an apparent end. Many Roman remains have been found from time to time in the village.
William de Grandison, a Burgundian from Neuchatel, obtained a grant of land in Herefordshire from Edward I.
Stretton Sugwas. Circ. 1200 we find a 'Decanus de Strettina' (Brec. Cart.) mentioned with Burghill and Brinsop.
- 1086 Stratone, Dom.
- 1291 Stretton, Tax. Eccles.
- 1294 Strettone juxta Credenhulle, Ep. Reg.
- 1303 Stratton, F.A.
- 1334 Strattone by Sugwas, Ep. Reg.
- 1341 Stretton, Non. Inq.
In 1395 the road from Burghill to Stretton was called Stretoneswey.
So circa 1650. There is a Strekynge in or near Birch in 1538.
- 1086 Stiuingeurdin, Dom.
- 1242 Strongford, and Strongeworthe (in the same document), Glos. Cart.
- 1577 Strangward, Saxton's Map.
- 1611 Strangward, Speed's Map.
A -wardine ending, which, after changing to -ford, has now become -wood. The Dom. form of the first element seems to be a mistake of the scribe.
No old forms. Prob. (like Studley (Oxfs.), of which all the old forms are Stodleye) O.E. stod-leah, 'the meadow of the stud (of horses)'.
The first element is prob. as in Sufton.
- 1200 Sulftona, Glos. Cart. This identification is not quite certain.
- 1391 Sufton, Harl. MS.
O.E. sough, 'a drain'.
Cf. Sough (q.v.) and Soughton (Flints.).
- 1086 Sucwessen, Dom.
- 1276 Sugwas, Ep. Reg., and very frequently thereafter.
For first element see Sough, and for second element see Rotherwas.
We find references to 'a parcel of land called Crooked Poplands Sute' in Hentland in 1638; 'the Suite lands in Chappell Field' in Goodrich in 1693; and 'Blacknorles Sute' in Peterstow in 1693.
- 1086 Sulcet, Dom.
- no date Sumergeilde, Leom. Cart.
- 1539 Somergyldes, Somergilds, Aug. Of.
The first element is O.E. sumer, 'summer': the second seems to be O.E. gild, 'a payment' or 'a guild'. What the two combined in a place-name mean is uncertain. Prof. Skeat on Guilden Morden (Cambs.) says: 'As to what it means I can only give a guess. The form would accurately represent the O.E. gyltena, gen. plur. of gylda, "a guild brother". So Guilden Morden would be "the Morden of the guild-brothers". But this requires confirmation by the help of historical research'.
- 1086 Sudtune, Sutune, Dom.
- 1291 Ecclesia Sancti Michaelis de Sotton, Tax. Eccles.
- 1316 Sutton Frene, F.A.
- no date Suthtuna, Glos. Cart.
- 1341 Sutton Sancti Michaelis,) Sutton Sancti Nich'l', j Non. Inq.
- 1545 Sutton Frene, Ind. Ct R.
- circ. 1550 'Kinggett Southton non longe distat a Maurdine... Extant...vestigia...quae nunc appellantur Southtoun Waulls', Leland.
The Frene family acquired Sutton in 1290, and held it for about a century.
No old forms. But first element is prob. as in Swanston (q.v.).
- 1086 Suenestun, Dom.
- 1243 Swenestane, T. de Nevill.
- 1278 Sweynestone, Ep. Reg.
- 1316 Sweyneston, F.A.
- 1345 Sweynestone, Ep. Reg.
'Tun of the swain'. The first element is O.E. swan, 'a swain, herdsman'.
Cf. Swainsthorpe (Norf.), Swainset (Lancs.).
- 1348 Swynemor, Ep. Reg.
There is a Swinmore also in Bosbury.
See Moccas; and cf. Swinbrook (Oxfs.), Swindon (Wilts.).
- 1537 Sybcombe, Aug. Of.
Said to be the old name of Cowarne Court, but there is no documentary evidence of this beyond the statements of 18th century antiquarians.
- 1665 Symons Yate, Courtfield MS.
- 1831 Simmonds Gate, Ord. Map.
'Opening, pass, gate of Sigemund or Simund'. Cf. Yatton, Gate Farm, Lydiates. In St Briavels (Glos.) is Wye-gate, which in Dom. is Wigheiete, and in 1337 Wyett.Return to top of page