T

Tabeel (Holmer).

Tack Farm (Moreton Jeffreys).

*Taratyr.

Seems to have been the name of the stream which flows from Aconbury into the Wye below Dyndor. In the Black Book of Carmarthen 'Aber Taradr' is said to be a few miles below Hereford, marking the extreme N.E. limit of Erging (Archenfield). The name is still preserved in Tars Mill, a mile below Aconbury village.

Old Tarn (St Margaret's).

Tarrington.

'Tun of Taeta or Tata'. The modern form never appears before 1577, and it was two centuries longer before the old form disappeared.

Taddington (Derbs.) is also 'Tun of Tata'; also Deddington (Oxfs.), which is Tadynton in 1289. Tetbury (Glos.), which is circ. 1100 Tettanbyrig, is 'Taeta's burh'.

Teddeswood (Ross).

'The wood of Tette'. See under Tedstone.

Tedney (Whitbourne).

No old forms, but prob. O.E. Tettan-ig, 'Tetta's island'. See Appendix, -ey.

Tedstone Delamere.

Tedstone Wafer.

'The thorn', or (in the other Dom. form), 'the thorp of Teda'; or of Tidda or Tuda; or of Teotta or Tette. All these are common, and kindred, personal names.

Teme (river).

One hesitates to discuss a river-name. This is said to be from a Celtic root found in varying forms, Tame, Tamer, Thame, Thames; and (since in Welsh f = v = aspirated m) Taff, Tavy, and Taw. In 1223 Tenbury is Tametebyri (Brec. Cart.).

Thinghill.

'Hill of meeting'.

O.E. faran to thinge is 'to go to a meeting'. The Dom. entry confuses '-hill' with 'hall', as often.

Thornbury.

O.E. thorn-byrig, 'burh with the thorn trees'. Or it may be from a pers. name Thorn, very common in the N. of England. Thornton occurs 34 times in Dom. of Yorks. alone. These could scarcely be all named after a tree !

*Thornlau [Dom. Hundred].

'Thorn-tree-hill'.

Thruxton.

'Tun of Thorkell or Thurkill', a shortened form of Thurcytel. In 1243 there is a Thurlokeshop, which in 1403 (Feet of Fines) is Thorllokeshope. In both entries it is held with Wilmaston in Peterchurch.

Tidnor (Lugwardine).

'Tida's or Tyda's bank'. See Appendix, -over.

Cf. Dadnor, Totnor Farm.

Tillington (Burghill).

Roberts thinks Tillington (Sussex), which also is spelt with -u- in 10th and 12th centuries, may be from O.E. Tila, a shortened form of some name beginning with such as Tilbeorht, Tilbrand, Tilhere, etc.

Tippings (Upper Sapey).

Tipsgrove (Pixley).

Tipton (Willey).

Tipton Hall (Tedstone Delamere).

Almost certainly the Turpleton of 1479 (Ind. Ct R.).

Titley.

'Tita's meadow'.

There is a Titley Hill in Abbeydore.

Totnor (Brockhampton).

'Totta's or Tota's bank'. See Appendix, -over.

Cf. Tottanstoc (Kemble).

Town.

As in Scotland, Somerset, and Cornwall, 'town' was, until quite recently, used in Herefordshire in the true sense of the O.E. tun, 'an enclosure, homestead, farm', being applied to the smallest hamlet, or even to a farmyard. This use is reflected very widely in the place-names of the county. We have The Town in Crasswall (of all places !), Town Farm (Castle Frome and Ullingswick), Ton Farm (Clifford), Townhouse (farms, Llanveyno, Mathon and Madley), Lower Town (farm, Preston Wynne), Townend (Upper and Lower, farms, Bosbury), Townend (Westhide), Townsend (Dilwyn, Edvin Ralph, Kington, Mansell Lacy, Stretton Grandison). In 1342 Robert atte the Tonishende was ordained at Hereford. In Foy in 1420 is Townmediew; and Silas Taylor mentions 'those excellent grounds called Letton's townesend'.

*Tragetreu [Dom. Hundred].

Tram Inn (Railway Station in Much Dewchurch parish).

Before the railway was made a tram-line ran from Abergavenny to Hereford for conveying coal. On this was a public- house called Tram Inn. The Great Western Railway inexplicably called what should have been Dewchurch or Kilpeck Station Tram Inn.

Trap-house (Ewyas Harold; Allensmore).

Trawley Brook (St Weonards).

Surrounded on all sides by Welsh names, mostly beginning with Tre-, one suspects that this name is corrupted from some Tre- name. But we have no old forms.

Treaddow (Hentland).

The first element is W. tref- (for which see Appendix); the second element is the name of an obscure Saint.

Treago (St Weonards).

A pers. name seems involved in the second element, perhaps 'ago', 'James'.

Trebandy (Marston).

The second element is W. pandy, 'a fulling mill', a very common element in Welsh pl.-ns.

Treberran (Pencoyd).

Trebumfrey (Llangarren).

The English form in 1292 sufficiently explains the meaning of the Welsh. There is a hamlet called Humphreston in Donington (Shrops.).

Trecilla (Llangarren).

Prob. W. tre-celli, 'grove-town'.

Tredoughan or Treduckan (Longrove).

Prob. tre-dragwn, 'settlement of the leader or chief'.

Tredunnock (Llangarren).

Tre-evan (Llangarren).

W. 'Evanston'. Cf. Evancoyd (Radnor).

Trefassy (Welsh Newton).

Possibly tre-fosydd, 'house or village in the trenches or ditches'.

Tregate (Llanrothal).

The only W. word resembling the second element is gid, 'a goat'. It may, however, be a corruption of some other word, perhaps of coed. Or, since the 1243 entry says it was held by knight-service, i.e. probably by Norman knights, the second element may be a corruption due to Norm.-Fr. influences.

Trelandon (Clodock).

Trelesdee (St Weonards).

Evidently a corrupt form: possibly of tre-lluesdau, 'encampment-village' 'Campton'.

Trelough (St Devereux).

W. tre-llwch, 'house in the marsh'.

Tremahaid (Llanrothal).

Prob. W. tre-maidd, 'whey-farm'.

Tremorithig (Bacton).

Apparently W. tre-meryddig, 'marsh-farm'.

Trenant (Peterchurch).

Turnant (Llanveyno).

W. tre-nant, 'village in the valley', or 'brook-village'.

John Trefnant was Bishop of Hereford, A.D. 1389-1404.

Trepencennant (St Weonards).

W. tre-pen-cen-nant, 'house at the head of the valley'. Others interpret tre-pen-cenad, 'house of the chief messenger'.

Trereece (Llangarren).

W. tre-rhys, 'settlement of Rice' (a common Welsh pers. name).

Cf. Trerice (Cornwall).

Treribble (Llangarren).

*Trescoyte [belongs to Dore Abbey].

W. tre-is-y-coed, 'house below the wood'.

Cf. Bangor Is-y-coed (Flints.).

*Tretawbot [in or near Bridstow].

'Talbot's town'.

Trethal (Llanrothal).

W. tal is in pl.-names -end, e.g. Tal-y-bont, 'Bridgend'; Tal-y-llyn, 'End of the lake'. But this might be tre-tail, 'dung-town', or tre-dol, 'meadow-town'; or it may be a corruption of Trerothal (see Llanrothal), 'House of St Ridol'. Without old forms, we can decide nothing.

Tretire.

It is clear that the first element only became tre-, on the pattern of the places round, in the 16th century. It may have been rhyd-tir, 'ford-land', or rhudd-tir, 'red-land'.

Trevace (Tretire).

W. tre-faes (mut. of maes), 'house in the field'.

Trevaddock (Cusop).

Trewadock (Garway).

W. 'Madoc's town'.

In Welsh f (i.e. v) is the mutation of m.

Trevaker (St Margaret's).

The second element does not seem to be pure Welsh. It may represent a (16th century ?) settler named Baker, whose name by mutation would become -vaker.

Trevanning (St Weonards).

V being the mutation of b or of m, the second element may be W. ban, 'lofty, conspicuous'; or it may be maen, 'stone'. The -ing ending is not Welsh; it is prob. a corruption due to English influences.

Treveranon (St Weonards).

Trevervan (Llangarren).

W. tre-ferfain (mut. of berfain) 'Verbena house'.

Treville.

The Dom. form suggests the true W. tre-wilain (mut. of bilain), 'house of the villan-tenant'.

Trewaugh (Llangarren).

Prob. W. tre-gwach, 'house in a hole'.

Trewen (Whitchurch).

W. tre-gwyn, 'white house'.

Trewern (Clodock).

Trewern du (Garway).

Trewarne (Longrove).

W. tre-gwernau, 'house among the alders'.

Treworgan (Longrove).

The second element is a man's name, Gwrgaint (the Geraint of Arthurian legend).

Trewyn (Walterstone).

W. tre-gwyn, 'white house'. The more correct form would be Trewen (q.v.).

*Treygreys [in or near Kilpeck].

Possibly the second element is W. gwres, 'heat', 'warmth'. Trey- is, like tre-, W. tref.

Treyseck (Hentland).

'Village built on drained land', from W. sock, 'a drain'.

Tricordivor (St Margaret's).

Seems to be compounded of tre- with coed, 'wood', and Ivor, a pers. name.

Trilloes (Boulston).

Possibly W. tref and llwys, 'clean, pure, holy'.

Triloode (Llanveyno).

Trippleton (Leintwardine).

This may be the Turpleton of 1479 (Ind. Ct R.) (but more probably Tipton is the place referred to).

Trothland (St Weonard's).

In the heart of a Welsh district, it is probably an English corruption of some Welsh pl.-n., which, without old forms, we cannot know.

Tuck Mill (Clehonger).

'A fulling or cloth mill'. O.E. tucian, 'to full cloth'. A Tucker is a cloth-worker.

Cf. Walk Mill (q.v.) which has almost the same meaning.

Tupsley.

'The meadow of Toppa or Topa'.

Cf. Toppesfield (Essex), Topsham (Devon).

Turnastone.

'Tun with the thorn tree', or, more probably, from a pers. name Thorn. See under Thornbury.

Turnastone is merely a form of Thornton, retaining the -es of the genitive. Why this is sometimes retained in later forms of place-names, and sometimes lost, no investigator has yet satisfactorily explained.

Tuston (Ashperton).

Tustin is a surname in the county.

Tuthill (Stoke Lacy).

Oldcastle Twt (Almeley).

Hergest Castle Twts (Kington).

This is an English, not a Welsh word, and should be written Tut- as in the Stoke Lacy form. J.G. Wood derives it from O.E. totian, 'to peep out', and translates it as 'a watch place'. He compares Tutshill, near Chepstow; Tothill Lane on Plymouth Sound; Tothill Fields (Westminster), and Totmanslow.

The Twern (Putley).

*Twinordesfelde [on one of the Bishop of Hereford's Manors].

'The twiner's field', i.e. belonging to the man who twined ropes from the hemp grown on the Manor.

Twyford (Callow and Eardisland).

The first element is O.E. twy or twa, 'two'.

Ty bach (Clodock).

W. ty-bach, 'small house', 'cottage'.

Tyberton.

Prob. 'Tun of Tidbeorht'. Tibberton (Glos.) is Dom. Tibriston, which also seems to point to Tidbeorht. Tibberton (Worcs.) is Dom. Tidbrihtingctun, which is unmistakably Tidbeorht.

Tyboobach (Crasswall).

W. ty-bwbach, 'goblin's house'.

Ty bordy (Cusop).

'House of boards', 'wooden house'. The second element is evidently a corrupt plural of W. bwrdd, 'a board'.

Ty Craddock (Michaelchurch Eskley).

W. 'Caradoc's house'.

Ty Glen (Cusop).

W. 'House in the glen'.

Tyllyshope (Cusop).

Ty mawr (Clodock).

W. ty-mawr, 'great house'.

Ty-nag-Quint (Michaelchurch Eskley).

Tynyrheol (Whitchurch).

W. ty'n-yr-heol, 'roadside house'.

Tythingsend (Acton Beauchamp).

Ty-ucha (Michaelchurch Eskley).

W. ty-uchaf, 'upper house'.

Return to top of page

URL of this page: http://www.melocki.org.uk/places/T.html

Copyright notice:
All pages at http://www.melocki.org.uk
are Copyright Mel Lockie 2011.
All rights reserved.
For a detailed copyright policy see: Conditions of Use.