W. pandy, 'a fulling mill'.
W. pant, 'a hollow'.
The name is found attached to small farms in other counties also. Baddeley thinks it originated in the 15th century, when crops were grown from 'Paradise-seed' imported from Morocco or Tripoli.
W. 'Park of the horses'. Meirch is pl. of march',a horse'.
This would seem to have been an independent parish or chapelry; it is entered both in Tax. Eccles. and in Non. Inq. as Ecclesia de Park'. See also Court-o' -P ark.
A hamlet at the entrance to what was once the Bishop of Hereford's park. In Madley also there is a Parkway, which on the 1831 Ord. Map is curiously spelt Paraguay. There is a Parkgate in Titley, and a farm called Twoparks in Linton.
- 1314 pastura que vocatur Personescroft', Ep. Reg.
- circ.1270 Pateshulle, Glos. Cart.
- 1547 Paunton, Excheq. R.
- 1551 Paunton, Inq. p.m.
- 1302 Peysure in valle de Wigmore', Quo War.
- 1086 Pedewrde, Dom.
- 1278 Pedwardin, Ep. Reg.
- 1343 Penborresoke, Ep. Reg.
- 1086 Penebruge, Dom.
- 1100 Penebrugge, Glos. Cart.
- 1239 Penebrug', Chart. R.
- 1291 Penebrigge, Tax. Eccles.
- 1303 Penebrugge , F.A.
- 1529 Pembrugge Burgus, Pembrugge Forinsec', Ind. Ct R.
- 1395, ' terra vocata Penbruggeslonde' is in Tillington (Ep. Reg.).
Welsh pen-allt',cliff-head'. This is noteworthy as almost the only purely Welsh place- name on the English side of the Wye, below Hereford.
W. pen-blaidd',wolf-point'. Blaidd is an element in several Welsh place-names, e.g. Cil- flaidd',wolf's lair'.
- 1100 Pencumbe, Glos. Cart.
- circ.1140 Penicumbe, E. H. Cart.
- 1243 Pencumbe, T. de Nevill.
- 1270 Pencumba, Penecumbe, Glos. Cart.
- 1283 Penecumbe, Chart. R.
- 1291 Pencombe, Tax. Eccles.
- 1341 Pencoumbe, Non. Inq.
- 1291 Pencoyt, Tax. Eccles.
- 1330 Pencoyt, Ep. Reg.
- circ.1130 Penn creic, Lib. Land.
- 1347 Pencrek, Ep. Reg.
- 1671 Pencreek, H'dshire Hearth Tax List.
- 1086 Penebecdoc, Dom.
Given by Leland as the name of a stream which goes under a bridge at the west end of Leominster, and thrwghe the very howse of the priorye ' into the Lugg.
- 1333 Penketly, Ep. Reg.
- 1334 Penkelle, Ep. Reg.
- 1545 Pengetheley, Inq. p.m.
Welsh 'head of the valley'.
- circ.1800 Pennockston, Local Guide.
- 1831 Pennoxstone, Ord. Map.
- 1789 Pennypitt, Par. Reg.
- 1790 Pennipitt, Tombstone in Birch churchyard.
- circ.1130 Penn ros, Lib. Land.
Rises in Stoke Edith, and falls into the Wye at Mordiford.
W. pen-tre f',a village'. There is a Pentre in Bredwardine and one in Brilley. The latter has near it Pentre-coed, and Pentre-grove, and not far away Pentre-miley; still further, Pentre- jack (possibly the adjective iach,`healthy').
W. pen-twyn, 'head of the hill'. Found in Bacton, Brilley, Dorstone, and Walterstone.
- 1227 Penyerd regis, Chart. R.
- 1302 Peniord in foresta de Dene, Quo War.
- 1346 Penyord, Ep. Reg.
W. pen-y-dref, 'head of the village 'the Welsh equivalent of the Townsend so often found in Herefordshire.
Probably height with the enclosure' rather than with the church'. But the second element may very possibly represent glan, which would give top of the bank' or ' pitch', as they always call it in Herefordshire. The name is given to at least six places in and near the Golden Valley, in Clodock, Kentchurch, Rowlstone, Peterchurch, and Dorstone. In this last parish there are two Pen-y-Lans within a mile and a half of one another. In Huntington-by-King-ton is Pen-lan.
Probably a corruption of Pen-mawr', big summit'.
- 1540 Penparke-Snothill, Aug. Of.
Welsh, head pf the old church'. The Bennithan manor', somewhere in the neighbourhood in 1722, may be a corruption of this.
So spelt now and in 1831.
Near by in 1630 is ' Adam's Pyrry'.
The name seems to have come into use in the 18th century for the house and lands which were previously part of Snogsash.
Apparently W. perth-y-perten, `the thorn-bush of the smart little girl', a strange place-name. Perhaps perton is akin to parth', division', which would give the more plausible 'boundary thorn'.
- 1559 Pyrbyn, Aug. Of.
- 1831 Pervin, Ord. Map.
- 1479 Pechefeld, Ind. Ct R.
- 1291 Ecclesia Sancti Petri in Straddel', Tax. Eccles.
- 1341 Petreschirch in Straddel', Non. Inq.
- 1428 Petruschirche, F.A.
- circ. 1130 Lann petyr, Lib. Land.
- 1278 Petrestowe, Ep. Reg.
- 1291 Ecclesia de Petr'stowe, Tax. Eccles.
- 1307 Peterustoye, Inq. p.m.
- 1341 Petrestowe, Non. Inq.
Probably the same in origin as Franche (Worcs.) which is Dom. Frenesse, i.e. O.Fr. fresne', ash-tree'.
A mound: probably O.Fr. petite haute.
Obviously a corruption, since no Picts were ever in or near Herefordshire. But, in the absence of old forms, it is impossible to guess at the original meaning. It may be akin in origin to Pixley (q. v.).
No old forms. The first element might possibly be O.E. piga', a little maid', which would give ' the maid's path ' as the meaning. Or it may be the pers. name Pic or Picc. Cf. Pixley.
Once called Onny (q.v.).
- 1086 Pipe, Dom.
- 1291 Pypa, Tax. Eccles.
- 1341 Pypa, Non. Inq.
- circ. 1135 Pistel, E. H. Cart.
- 1327 Pistelbroch, Chart. R. (in a Dore Charter).
- 1831 Pistell Brook Farm, Ord. Map.
- 1086 Picheslei, Dom.
- 1243 Pikesley Clinton', T. de Nevill.
- 1291 Pikesleye, Tax. Eccles.
- 1341 Pykesleye, Non. Inq.
- circ. 1200 Plessy in Ewias', Acon. Chart.
- 1667 Plash, Survey of Manor.
M.E. plecke, plek, ' a piece of ground'. The name was once common in some parts of the county. In Goodrich, e.g. in 1693, were ' The Whitchurch Plecks, the Boate Flecks, and The Long Pleck; in 1722 there is also Cutt Mill Fleck, and Gains Pleck; and in 1725 The Barge Pleck'. In Credenhill in 1722 was The Fleck. Flock is prob. a variant of Fleck. It is still found in Court Flocks (Allensmore) and Green Flock (Canon Pyon).
- 1086 Plegeliet, Plegelget, Dom.
- 1086 Pletune, Dom.
Preston-on-Wye1273 Burg-us de Ploufeld, Capes. Peterchurch1335 Plofelde, Ep. Reg.
- 1346 Plowfeld, Ep. Reg.
- 1831 Pont-r-ynys, Ord. Map.
- 1831 Pont Henry, Ord. Map.
- 1086 Elwistone , Dorn.
- 1194 Helyston, E. H. Cart.
- 1206 Heliston, E. H. Cart.
- 1300 Elston, Ing. p.m.
- circ. 1550 Ailstone Bridge, Leland.
- 1577 Elstones Bridge, Saxton's Map.
- 1611 Elston Bridge, Speed's Map.
- 1670 Elston Bridge, Blome's Map.
- 1750 Pontrilas, Bowen's Map.
- 1786 Pontrilas, Taylor's Map.
- 1550. It took nearly two centuries for Pontrilas ' entirely to
- 1086 Panchille, Dom.
W. ' stone bridge'.
W. ' bridge of arches'.
W. pont-y-pinau', bridge by the pine-trees'.
W. pont-is, ' lower bridge'.
The first word is W. pwll, ' a pool'; the second is W. heli g, `the willow'. Close to the house is still the spring on the hill- side, overshadowed by willows and alders.
So in 1671. There is a Pool Farm in Evesbatch, Blackpole in Eye, Pool Wharfe in Much Dewchurch, and Polemore in Withington. In 1275 (Ep. Reg.) La Pulle was somewhere in Lugg Meadow near Shelwick, and in 1722 Pool Dye Meadow is in Goodrich (apparently this last is Pwll dhu). In Withington is Poll Noddy.
There is a Poplane in Goodrich in 1722, and a Crooked Popland's Sute in Hentland in 1638.
No old forms. Possibly -hanger (for which see Clehonger and Hungerhill).
- circ. 1150 Portfelde, juxta portam cimiterii Sancti Guthlaci', Glos. Cart.
- 1272 Portfeld, Capes.
- 1534 Communis campus vocatus Portesfeld', Aug. Of.
- circ. 1550 Portfild is in the Ine Gate suburbe of Hereford', Leland.
Ancient tracts are so named in many counties, as leading to the chief town or port; it does not imply a Roman road. There is a Portway in Burghill (so in 1395), in Staunton, in Callow, and in Orleton. The earliest mention is in 1220 when land in Hadley is said to stretch usque viam regiam que vocatur portwey'. (This Partway is not now so called.)
- 1086 Poscetenetune, Dom.
- 1100 Postone, Glos. Cart.
- 1300 Puston in Straddel, Inq. p.m.
- 1324 Postone, Abbrev. Plac.
There are Pound Farms in Braley, Coddington, Holme Lacy, Laysters, Pound House in Yarpole, and the Pounds in Sollershope. O.E. pund, ' a fold', an enclosure'.
- 1291 Presthemed', Tax. Eccles.
- 1316 Prestemede, F.A.
- 1341 Presthemed', Non. Inq.
- 1457 Presthemde, Heref. Corp. MS.
- 1086 Prestetune, Dorn.
- circ. 1150 Prestone, Capes.
- 1253 Canons Preston, Chart. R.
- 1291 Preston, Tax. Eccles.
Various entries in Leom. Cart. almost certainly refer to Priddleton:- Purlinton, Purtliton, Purtlint, Purtlynton West.
A phonetic variation of O.E. pine, purl, found only in Worcs., Salop, Herefs., Radnors., and Glos., ' a small stream of running water'.
- 1684 Potheither, List of Recusants.
- 1722 Potheder, Terrier.
- 1831 Prothether, Ord. Map.
- 1086 Pillesdune, Dom.
- 1243 Puclesdun, T. de Nevi11.
- circ. 1253 Pudlesdone, Cart. Brec.
- 1283 Pydlesden, Capes.
- 1291 Pudlesdon, Putlesdon, Tax. Eccles.
- 1303 Pudlesdon, F.A.
- 1341 Pudlesdon, Non. Inq.
- 1364 Puttelestone, Ep. Reg.
- 1577Saxton's Map.
- 1611 Piddlestone Speed's Map.
- 1786Taylor's Map.
- 1831 Pudleston, Ord. Map.
- 1086 Poteslepe, Dom.
- circ. 1180 Putelega, Capes.
- 1219 Putelehe, Capes.
- 1291 Potteleye, Puttele, Tax. Eccles.
- 1303 Putteleye, F.A.
- 1327 Putteleye, Plac. de Banco.
- 1341 Porteley, Non. Inq.
- 1538 Putley, Val. Eccles.
- 1243 Puteston, T. de Nevill.
- 1300 Potestone, Ep. Reg.
- 1355 Putestone, Ep. Reg.
- 1538 Putteston, Val. Eccles.
- 1831 Putston, Ord. Map.
W. crooked pool'.
- 1086 Pionie (King's), Peune (Canon), Dom.
- 1291 Pyonia regis, Pyonia canonicorum, Tax. Eccles.
- 1312 Peon, Pat. R.
- 1316 Kingespeone, F.A.
- 1341 Pionia regis, Pionia canonicorum, Non. Inq.
- 1372 Kinges Peon, Capes.
- 1377 Pyioun, Ep. Reg.
- 1415 Kyngespeawyn, Herefordshire Will.
- 1538 Kyngespewne, Val. Eccles.