Donnington Transcription Sources
Donnington was a benefice in the diocese of Hereford for at least 650 years. The earliest institution of a priest to Donnington in the registers of the bishops of Hereford is dated 1305.
The benefice of Donnington was transferred from the diocese of Hereford to that of Gloucester by Order in Council dated 10 February 1955 and combined with the benefice of Dymock. In the same order, Kempley which had been combined with Dymock was combined with Oxenhall, Pauntley which had been combined with Oxenhall was combined with Upleadon, and Preston which had been combined with Dymock was placed in a separate benefice.
The Donnington parish registers which had been held previously in the church were deposited in Gloucestershire Record Office in about 1976. The earliest Donnington parish register surviving at that time was started in 1754. The parish registers covering the period 1754 to 1986 are therefore held at Gloucestershire Record Office, and the latest post-1986 registers are still held in the church. The registers held at Gloucester have not yet been microfilmed.
The Donnington parish registers held at Gloucestershire Record Office are referenced under P410 (Donnington) as follows:
- P410 IN 1/1 Baptisms, marriages, banns and burials 1754-1812
- P410 IN 1/2 Marriages 1813-1835
- P410 IN 1/3 Services 1931-1951
- P410 IN 1/4 Services 1951-1977
- P410 IN 1/5 Baptisms 1813-1987
- P410 IN 1/6 Burials 1817-1987
- P410 IN 1/7 Banns 1891-1982
- P410 IN 1/8 Marriages 1838-1986
For completeness, other Donnington parish holdings at Gloucestershire record office are referenced under P410 (Donnington) and P125 (Dymock) as follows:
- P410 IN 3/1 Provisional valuations of church, rectory and adjoining land 1914
- P410 IN 3/2 Statement of Indian £3 1/2 per cent stock 1939-1942
- P410 IN 3/3 File of Canon Gethyn Jones, incumbent, concerning glebe and PCC matters, including correspondence concerning the Mitchell Trust, for keeping the church in good repair 1930-1957
- P410 CW 1/1 Churchwardens' accounts 1826-1867
- P410 CW 1/2 Churchwardens' accounts 1868-1899 1868-1910
- P410 CW 3/1 Faculties 1936-1951
- P410 CW 3/2 Plans and elevations of pulpit, pews and west end niche 1938
- P410 CW 3/3 Memoranda about the joint use of a wheeled bier with pall, by the parishioners of Dymock and Donnington 1887
- P410 CW 3/4 Plan of part of Donnington churchyard, showing graves nd, c.1980-c.1986
- P410 CW 3/5 Report of an inspection of the church fabric 1956 1956-1957
- P410 CW 3/6 Papers concerning the eradication of a woodborer attack 1972, 1982 1972-1982
- P410 VE 2/1 Annual vestry meetings 1879-1946
- P410 OV 1/1 Poor rate book 1846-1848
- D3469/5/53 Charities Review Organiser's file: Donnington (Herefordshire) (19th cent.)-1970
- D3910 Gloucestershire Federation of Women's Institutes 1925-1977
- D6322Donnington (Herefordshire), Pauntley and Redmarley D'Abitot: deeds 1317-1507
- D7322Rev J E Gethyn-Jones 1881-1980s
- P125 IN 1/42 Confirmations 1867-1975
- P125 IN 3/12 Copy Order in Council for union of benefices of Dymock and Donnington, Kempley and Oxenhall, Pauntley and Upleadon, Highnam with Lassington and Rudford, and creation of the benefice of Preston (Forest) 1955
- P125 CW 4/1 Memorandum of presentation of a bier and pall for the joint use of Dymock and Donnington 1887; list of church workers 1901 1887-1907
- P125 MI 29 Copy of photograph showing a sketch made by C W Radcliffe Cook on the return of Rev John and Mrs Isabella Lander to Donnington Rectory, Ledbury after their honeymoon (1856)
- P125 MI 30 Copies of photographs showing Donnington Rectory (before and after an extension was added in the 1860s) and Rev John and Isabella Lander together with their children and nanny (1862)-(1870)
- P125 MI 19 Dymock and Donnington parish magazine (incomplete series) 1954-1959
The earliest Donnington parish register held at Gloucester, starting in 1754, is a general register combining baptisms, marriages, banns and burials, and contains:
- marriages and banns from 1754 to 1812,
- baptisms from 1755 to 1812, and
- burials from 1765 to 1809.
The entries for 1813 to 1986 are contained in separate registers for baptisms, marriages and burials.
For at least the period 1556 to 1766 Donnington was a daughter parish to Ledbury, as was Little Marcle, Much Marcle, Aylton, Pixley etc. The Ledbury parish registers of this period therefore include accounts of the various marriages and baptisms carried out in Donnington each year. In later registers this was kept as an annual account but in earlier Ledbury registers the entries are interspersed with those for the parent parish but marked as Donnington.
The annual account was headed: "An account of the Christenings and Marriages in the parish of Donnington from March 25 .... to March 25 ....". Note the absence of burials in these annual accounts. The earlier Ledbury registers refer to Ledbury as the "Burrough", and the daughter parishes as "Forreign" or "Countrie".
In the period 1754 to 1766 Donnington entries were made in both the surviving 1754 Donnington register and the 1744 Ledbury register. It's worth noting that, in this overlap period, the entries in the Ledbury register duplicate those in the Donnington register, albeit with a few differences of date and spelling. There is no difference in the style and format used in the Ledbury register before 1754 to record Donnington entries, and it seems likely to me that the Ledbury entries were duplicated in the same way, by copying the Donnington register. In addition Bishop's Transcripts exist of baptism and marriage entries in the "Donnington Register" well before 1754, so I think that Donnington parish registers earlier than 1754 were maintained but have been lost.
However, this duplication did not extend to burials. The earliest record in the surviving Donnington parish registers of a burial in Donnington is that of Elizabeth Jenkins (wife of the rector) in 1787 and the memorial inscription shows she was interred in the church itself. The earliest record in the Donnington parish registers of a burial in the churchyard, and confirmed by an identified grave, dates to 1835. Before 1765 Donnington burials sometimes took place elsewhere and were entered in the burial registers for Dymock, Ledbury, Bromsberrow and other adjacent parishes.
Donnington burials are scarce in the Ledbury parish registers but are not completely missing, at least in the earlier registers. It's not yet clear why Donnington burials are so scarce between 1700 and 1800 - it's possible that for some time Donnington was not able to carry out burials.
The Ledbury parish registers are held at Hereford Record Office and referenced under B092 as follows:
- B092/1 1556 to 1631 General, paper
- B092/2 1556 to 1631 Book, part transcript of above
- B092/3 1556 to 1687 General, parchment, part copy of B092/1
- B092/4 1686 to 1744 General
- B092/5 1744 to 1766 General
- B092/6 1767 to 1807 Baptisms and burials
- B092/7 1808 to 1812 Baptisms and burials
- B092/8 1813 to 1827 Baptisms
- B092/9 1827 to 1838 Baptisms
- B092/10 1838 to 1859 Baptisms
- B092/11 1859 to 1889 Baptisms
- B092/12 1889 to 1921 Baptisms
- B092/13 1921 to 1951 Baptisms
- B092/14 1951 to 1959 Baptisms
- B092/15 1960 to 1974 Baptisms
- B092/16 1754 to 1778 Marriages
- B092/17 1779 to 1812 Marriages
- B092/18 1813 to 1837 Marriages
- B092/19 1837 to 1860 Marriages
- B092/20 1860 to 1885 Marriages
- B092/21 1885 to 1917 Marriages
- B092/22 1917 to 1934 Marriages
- B092/23 1934 to 1939 Marriages
- B092/24 1939 to 1943 Marriages
- B092/25 1943 to 1948 Marriages
- B092/26 1948 to 1960 Marriages
- B092/27 1960 to 1972 Marriages
- B092/28 1972 to 1985 Marriages
- B092/29 1849 to 1892 Banns
- B092/30 1893 to 1920 Banns
- B092/31 1946 to 1956 Banns
- B092/32 1957 to 1967 Banns
- B092/33 1967 to 1976 Banns
- B092/34 1976 to 1983 Banns
- B092/35 1813 to 1834 Burials
- B092/36 1834 to 1862 Burials
- B092/37 1862 to 1868 Burials
- B092/38 1878 to 1910 Burials
- B092/39 1910 to 1945 Burials
- B092/40 1945 to 1962 Burials
- B092/41 1962 to 1982 Burials
The registers held at Hereford have been microfilmed.
What's Been Transcribed
I have transcribed:
- all baptisms, banns, marriages and burials from the Donnington parish registers held in Gloucester (1754 to 1986)
- all burials from the current Donnington burial register held in the church (1990 to 2011)
- some baptisms, banns, marriages and burials mentioning Donnington from the Ledbury parish registers held in Hereford (1556 to 1631, and 1686 to 1766)
- all baptisms, marriages and burials mentioning Donnington from the Dymock parish registers held in Gloucester (1558 to 1812)
In addition, entries mentioning Donnington have been made available by Forest of Dean Family History from their transcripts of the parish registers of Bromsberrow (1559 to 1903), Dymock (1538 to 1930), Preston (1665 to 1983) and Kempley (1753 to 2000). Some Herefordshire Parish registers have been transcribed by the Herefordshire Family History Society and made available to the commercial online website FindMyPast for online access.
Finally, many Herefordshire registers, and Bishop's Transcrips have been scanned and transcribed by the Church of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) and placed online for free access by researchers.Return to top of page