- 1271 'decimas de la Hache in Straddele', Ep. Reg.
This name is entirely unknown, save for this entry, which may be a scribe's mistake for Bache, a known place in the Golden Valley.
So in 1535.
- temp. Hen. III Hatfield, Delimitation.
O.E. haga, 'an enclosed field' (akin to O.E. hege, 'a hedge'). There is a Worcs. Hagley.
Old forms wanted. Close by is Logaston; and there is, in Bridstow, a Moraston.
- 1086 Hamenes, Dom.
- 1123 Hamenessce, Leom. Cart.
- 1243 Hamenes, T. de Nevill.
- 1303 Hamenasse, F.A.
- 1346 Hamenash, F.A.
- 1428 Hamonasch, F.A.
- 1431 Hamonasshe, F.A.
- 1539 Hampnache, Aug. Of.
- 781 Homtune, Kemble.
- 1086 Hantune, Dom.
- 1270 Homptone, Ep. Reg.
- 1291 Hompton Episcopi, Tax. Eccles.
- 1316 Hampton Thopesley Villa, F.A.
- 1341 Hampton, Non. Inq.
- 1086 Hantone, Dom.
- 1243 Honiton, Hompton, T. de Nevill.
- 1286 Hampton Waffre, Chart. R.
- 1341 Hampton Wafr', Non. Inq.
Held by the Wafre family in 12th century; passed with the daughter of Sir Robert Wafre to the Mortimers. The many Hamptons in England fall into two classes: (1) O.E. ham tun, 'home-town; i.e. an enclosed settlement or village. (2) O.E. hean tun, 'high-town'. Dom. distinguishes these as Hamtune and Hantune. Both the above are, in Dom., 'high-town'; though the Kemble form seems to be 'home-town'. It is probable that they were often confused, even in the earliest days. There is an Uphampton in Docklow, Hampton Court in Hope-under-Dinmore, Hampton Charles in Bockleton, and New Hampton in Hatfield. This last must have been so-called in the 12th century, since the Leom. Cart. (in 1123) refers to it and Hampton Wafer in the words 'de utraque Hamtona'.
- 1431 Hamsty, Pilley MS.
'Path leading to the ham'. See Appendix, -sty.
- 1086 Hanlei, Dom.
- 1243 Hanleye, T. de Nevill.
O.E. aet hean leage, 'high-lea'. There is a Hanley Court in Kingstone. Cf. Handley (Derbs.) and Heeley (Yorks.), which, though only a few miles apart, have by different dialectical development, descended from aet hean leage.
Harbour is O.E. here, 'an army' and beog, 'protection'. Cold harbour is a place of shelter from the weather for wayfarers, constructed by the wayside. Hence it is a frequent name in many localities. Skeat says, 'a wayside refuge without a fire'. Some have thought it is ironic, 'cold shelter'. There is a Harbour Farm in Goodrich, and Harbour House Farm in Kingsland. Also Arbour Hill Farm, Ross.
- 1327 (Clifford) Herdewyk, Plac. de Banco.
- 1537 (Clifford) Hardwyke-cum-Hey, Aug. Of.
In 1300 there is a Herdwika-juxta-Ewias in the 'parish of the priest of St Kenedrus', i.e. Kenderchurch. O.E. heord and wic, 'herd's, shepherd's dwelling'. There are at least 26 Hardwicks in England, many of which are in Dom. though none under Herefordshire.
- 1086 Harewde, Dom. J.H.R. queries this identification; and with justice, since the Dom. Harewood is 'in valle Stradelei'.
- 1138 Harewuda, A.C.
- 1302 Harewod, Quo War. See above.
O.E. hara-wudu, 'hare's wood'. The Glos. Haresfield is Dom. Hersefeld, 'field of Hersa'. There is a Harewood in Dilwyn also.
- 1086 Hetfelde, Dom.
- circ.1150 Hethfeld, Leom. Cart.
- 1243 Hethfeud, T. de Nevill.
- 1291 'Hatfeld magna cum capella de Hatfeld parva', Tax. Eccles.
- 1341 Hattefeld magna ... parva, Non. Inq.
O.E. haeth, 'heath'. So four other Hatfields (Worcs., Herts., Essex), but Hatfield (Yorks.) is Dom. Haifeld, 'hay-field'. In Sussex the form Heathfield is found.
Given by Walter de Lacy to Crasswall Priory circ. 1080.
- 1329 Heggeschawe, Ep. Reg.
- 1330 Hoggeshawe, Ep. Reg.
There is a Haughway in Goodrich in 1722.
No early forms of the place-name. But a family named Hevyn held lands in Dilwyn in the 14th century, and retained them till the 17th century. See Henwood also. There is a Haven farm in Aymestrey, and one in Burghill; also Up. and Low. Weaven in Little Dewchurch.
Welsh hafod, 'a dairy, a summer house'. But (a good instance of corruption) Hafod Road in Hereford was in 1778 Harford Shutt, and belonged in 1684 to Dr Bridstock Harford.
Walker's Green is close by.
- 1121 'Castellum de haia taillata', A.C.
- 1123 haia, A.C.
- 1223 Heya, Le Hey, Leom. Cart.
- 1265 La Haye, Royal Letters (R.S.).
- circ.1550 The Hay, Leland.
O.E. hege, 'a hedge', then 'an enclosure'. In M.E. it becomes hei, and (under Norman influence) haie, haye. The little town is still commonly called 'The Hay'. Walter Map calls it Sepes Incissa. Haia taillata is Fr. haie taillee, 'cut hedge'. (The Leom. entry evidently refers to a local holding of the Priory, not to the town of Hay; as also in a Chart. of Richard I (1198), 'juxta haiam meam Herefordie'.) There was a La Haye Hyde in Bolton in 1302.
- 1186 Haibroc, Glos. Cart.
- 1278 Heywode, Ep. Reg.
- 1282 Heywode, MS. Charter.
There is a 'Silva que vocatur Haya' in E. H. Cart. circ. 1280. But it is evidently near the village.
Cf. Heythrop (Ox.), 'the fenced-in village'. Hailey (Ox.), 'the fenced-in meadow'.
- 1086 Hasles, Dom.
- 1109 Hugo de Hasela holds 1 Knight's fee from the Bishop.
- circ.1180 la Hesele, Capes.
- 1303 Hasele, F.A.
- 1304 Hasel', Ep. Reg.
- 1346 Hasele, F.A.
- 1428 Haselor, F.A.
- 1593 Hazell, Inq. p.m.
O.E. haesl, 'hazel', with leah, 'the meadow of the hazel-tree'.
Cf. Haseley (Oxf.), which is Dom. Haselie. Heswall (Ches.), earlier Haselwelle.
- 1086 Hed, Dom.
- 1243 Hethe, T. de Nevill.
- 1327 La Hethe, Plac. de Banco.
- 1086 Hech, Dom.
- 1287 Heliun, Heref. Corp. MS.
- 1394 Helyon, Ep. Reg.
The family of Helling or Helyon held land in Marcle certainly in 1348, but they prob. took their name from the place, rather than gave it to the place. 18th century antiquarians call Hellens, 'Effingham Castle'.
- 1281 Hemnesfeld, Chart. R.
- 1569 Hendre Cocke, Courtfield MS.
Welsh hen-dref, 'the old tref', i.e. the permanent dwelling as distinguished from the hafod, or summer house.
W. hen, 'old', and coed, 'a wood'. 'The old wood'.
Prob. O.E. hean hop, 'high enclosed valley'.
- 1123 Heanoura, Leom. Cart.
- circ.1240 Henovere, Leom. Cart.
- 1334 Henore, Ep. Reg.
O.E. hean, 'high', and ofer, 'a bank, shore, margin'.
- circ.1130 Hennlann Dibric, Lib. Land.
- 1291 Hentlan, Tax. Eccles.
- 1331 Henthlan, Ep. Reg.
- 1341 Henthlan, Non. Inq.
- 1538 Henthelan, Val. Eccles.
- 1545 Hentlane, Inq. p.m.
Welsh hen llan, 'old church'. In Cornwall, near Bodmin, Hen llan has become Helland, but in Pembs. there is a Hentland.
Old forms needed. Possibly 'Hevyn's wood', from the family who held lands in Dilwyn for some centuries. See Haven. Or from O.E. hean, 'high'.
- 1086 Hercope, Dom.
- 1048 Herefordseir, O.E. Chron.
- 1086 Hereford port, Dom.
- 1161-2 'Herefort in Waliis', Pipe.
- 1291 Hereford, Tax. Eccles.
O.E. here-ford, 'ford of the army'.
- 1086 Hergesth, Dom.
- 1278 Hergast, Ep. Reg.
- 1302 Hergast, Quo War.
- 1341 Hergast, Non. Inq.
In 1395 there is a Hergestecrofte in Tillington.
- 1123 Herntun, Leom. Cart.
Prob. 'Herewine's tun'; though the first element might possibly (but not probably) be O.E. hyrne, 'a horn'.
- 1086 Hezetre, Dom.
- 1278 Hulhamptone, Ep. Reg.
- 1291 Hullhampton, Tax. Eccles.
- 1480 Hillhamptone, Pilley MS.
'Tun in the meadow on the hill'.
- 1529 Hillstreet, Ind. Ct R.
- 1290 Hinetone, Hinintone, Ep. Reg.
- 1291 Hyniton, Tax. Eccles.
- 1300 Hinitone, Ep. Reg.
- 1346 Heneton, F.A.
- 1086 Hinetune, Dom.
- 1243 Hunteston, T. de Nevill.
- 1294 Hyntone, Ep. Reg.
- 1316 Hyneton, F.A.
- 1465 Hinton-in-Straddell, Ind. Ct Rolls.
Of the many Hintons in England some are O.E. hean tun, 'high-town': others, as both the above, are from O.E. hina, the gen. plur. of hiwan, 'domestic servants, hinds'. There is a Hinton in Eardisland (which in Leom. Cart. 1190 is Hentun), one in Felton, and one in Norton Canon.
- 1831 Hoe farm, Ord. Map.
- 1005 To tham haran withie, Chart.
- 1348 Horewythy, Aconb. MS.
O.E. liar, 'gray', then 'old'. But some say hoar- in place- names implies a boundary, quoting the (fairly common) hoar-stone as an example. 'At the old withy-tree', or 'at the withy-tree on the boundary'. There is a Hoar-stone Farm near Presteign, and a Hoarstone in Tedstone Delamere.
- 1291 Hodenac, Tax. Eccles.
'Piscar'' in one entry and 'de quodam gurgite' in the other point to a river. But there is no hint either as to the locality or the meaning of the word.
Not in 1831 Ord. Map. The London Holborn is in 1513 Holburne, 'stream in the hollow'.
No forms older than 1831. Perhaps a corruption of Holloway or Holeway. There is a Hole Farm in Shobdon.
- 1541 Hollyn, Aug. Of.
O.E. holen, 'holly'. 'Wood of the holly trees'. There is a Hollinghill in Woolhope, and Hollings Hill (1831 Ord. Map Hallinghill) in Mathon; Hollins in Edvin Ralph; Hollanton in Holme Lacy; and Hollybrook in Kimbolton.
- circ.1200 Holmedewe, Brec. Cart.
- circ.1220 Holemedewe, Brec. Cart.
'Meadow in the hollow'.
- 1086 Hamme, Dom.
- 1243 Hamme Lacy, T. de Nevill.
- 1256 Hamme Lacy, Ep. Reg.
- 1291 Hum' Lacy, Tax. Eccles.
- 1303 Hamelacy, F.A.
- 1316 Hamelacy, F.A.
- 1341 Homlacy, Non. Inq.
- 1346 Home Lacy, F.A.
- 1428 Homme Lacy, F.A.
- 1538 Homlacy, Val. Eccles.
- 1577 Hamlaceye, Saxton's Map.
- 1610 Hamlacye, Speed's Map.
- 1786 Holm Lacy, Taylor's Map.
Most Holmes and -holmes are in Dom. holme or holne, i.e. O.E. holm, 'a river meadow', 'low flat land by a river'. But this is Hamme, O.E. ham or hom, originally 'the human ham', then 'a meadow at the bend of a river', then 'any enclosed ground, generally pasture'. This place-name, uncompounded, is very common in Herefordshire, especially round Ledbury, where there are several Hommes (the main street is called The Homend, i.e. the end towards Homme House). In the modern form Holme Lacy, the corruption is due to assimilation with the Holmes that are really O.E. holm. There is another instance of this at Lyonshall, where we find The Holme, Upper Holme, and Lower Holme, but in 1553 'Hom alias Leonhales ' (Ind. Ct R.). There is a Homme in Dilwyn, which in 1243 (T. de N.) is Hamme, in 1251 (Chart. R.) is Hamme, and in 1402 (Inq. p.m.) is 'Holme juxta Dylawe', and thereafter reverts to Homme, as it is to-day. There is a Hambrook near Ledbury, which I cannot trace beyond 1831; and a Homme Close in Goodrich in 1722; where also in 1725 is a 'Whitchurch Hom'; and in Goodrich also, in 1413 (Inq. p.m.) is 'the pasture of Over-wyesham, and Nether- wyesham'. Hyde had a Homgate temp. Hen. III.
- 1086 Holemere, Dom.
- 1273 Holemore, Capes.
- 1291 Holemer, Holemare, Tax. Eccles.
- 1309 Holemare, Capes.
- 1316 Holmare, F.A.
- 1341 Holemare, Non. Inq.
- 1428 Holmer, F.A.
O.E. hol, 'hollow ', and mere, 'a lake'.
Prob. O.E. hol, 'hollow', and stiga, 'a path'. See Appendix, -sty. In 1222 there is a Holesti in Mansell Lacy.
Honey is a not uncommon prefix in English place-names. One would expect, perhaps, that it occurred more frequently in Herefordshire, where, in Ewyas and Archenfield more especially, the villan's dues were often rendered in honey. Beyond this instance in Eaton Bishop we only have one other instance- Huniesmedewe (Leom. Cart. no date) which may have been in or near Ivington, since, in 1539, that manor pays two shillings and sixpence as 'consuetud' voc' Honysilver'.
(For meaning see Appendix.) This word is common in all parts of the county. We find it in three parish-names, Hope-under- Dinmore, Hope Mansel, and Woolhope; in two 'Hope Farms' (Edvin Loach, Presteign); in Dudale's Hope (Bodenham; Duddedale in 1264 and Hope Duddall in Val. Eccles.); in Hope's Rough (Cowarne: Prior's Hope in 1542); in Hope-End (Ledbury), and in several other instances. Hopeswde and Hopemyle occur in Leom. Cart. passim. The latter name is once (circ. 1400) Myleshope, and once Hope Mililon; and in 1539 (Aug. Of.) it appears as Myllyshope. Neither place can be now identified.
- 1246 Hope Maloisel, Glos. Cart.
- 1263 Hope Maloysel, Ep. Reg.
- 1291 Hope Meleysel, Tax. Eccles.
- 1341 Hope Maloysel, Non. lnq.
- 1367 Hope Meleishulle, Inq. p.m.
- 1538 Hope Maynesell, Val. Eccles.
Of the Maloisel family, who held this Hope in the 13th century, little seems to be known, and by the 16th century the very form of the name was all but forgotten, and becomes Maynesell, from which the transition to the modern form is easy.
- 1291 Hope sub Dinnemor, Tax. Eccles.
- circ.1390 Hope sub Dunemore, Leom. Cart.
No old forms. There is in 1227 (Chart. R.) a Hoppilegh somewhere between Kilpeck and Treville. It must have been a hamlet or district, since it apparently contains 'La Sallonere ' and Fernilegh. (But see, sub *Fernlega, Eg. Phillimore's suggestion that Fernilegh was itself the district.)
- 1086 Hopetune, Dom.
- 1241 Opton, Chart. R.
- 1243 Hoptun, T. de Nevi11.
- 1346 Hopton, F.A.
- 1358 Hopton Hagurner, Feet of Fines.
- 1567 Hopton, Hagerley, Fine R.
- 1831 Hopton Solers, Ord. Map.
It is probably 'tun in the enclosed valley' (see App. Hope). It is just possible that it may be, as some suggest, from an O.E. hop, 'privet', as Hopwood (Worcs.). It cannot be 'tun where hops are grown', since this word is not found in English till 1440.
Etymology obvious. Cf. Horsepath (Oxf.) which is as early as Dom.
- 1086 Hulla, Dom.
- 1286 Hule Cnolle, Ep. Reg.
- 1305 Hule, Ep. Reg.
Possibly, as some think, W. hywel, 'conspicuous' (cf. Crickhowell), but more probably the Mercian form of O.E. hyll, 'a hill'. The Shrops. Howle is Dom. Hugle. (Hull (Yorks.) is a modern name for the town. From 1299 to 1552 or later it is always Kingston-on-Hull, the latter evidently a river-name.)
- 1831 Hondys Gate, Ord. Map.
Evidently Welsh, and suggestive of the Llanthony river, Honddhu; but that falls into the Monnow eight or nine miles from Orcop.
- 1243 Huton, T. de Nevill.
- 1303 Huton, F.A.
- 1327 Houton, Plac. de Banco.
- 1540 Houghton, Aug. Of.
There is a Howton in Bodenham, which in 1303 is Huton, and in 1537 (Aug. Of.) Hoton. The Lancs. Hutton is continuously from 1180 to 1292 Hoton, prob. from O.E. hoh, 'hill- town'. This may be taken as the probable meaning of both our Howtons, though neither is conspicuously on a hill.
For the second element see Append. sub -bach.
- 1086 Humbre, Dom.
- 1123 Humbra, Leom. Cart.
- circ.1220 Humbre, Leom. Cart.
- 1275 Capella de Humbre, Ep. Reg.
- 1291 Humbre, Tax. Eccles.
- 1341 Humbre, Non. Inq.
- 1428 Homber, F.A.
The parish takes its name from the Humber Brook, as to which, like most river-names, it is best to say nothing, except that it may be Celtic.
- 1150 Hundretone, Ep. Reg.
- 1252 Hunditone, Capes.
- 1300 Hundirtone, Ep. Reg.
- 1376 Hundertone, Capes.
'Hunthryth's or Wendretha's tun'.
So in 1722. The O.E. hangra, angra, is an element in many Herefordshire place-names. Besides Clehonger (q.v.) we have Hungerstone (Allensmore: 1243 Hungarestun, 1316 Hongaston, 1341 Hungarstone), Hungerbury Wood (English Bicknor), Honger Grove (Pudlestone), Hunger Hill (Goodrich in 1722, not apparently now), and Hunger Hole (Acton Beauchamp). There is a 'Hungerstrete' in Hereford in 1375, and Speed's Map (1610) calls St Owen Street 'Hongery Strete'. A D. Ch. Chart. circ. 1230 makes a grant of land 'in Hungreya' (evidently in or near Mordiford). There are several Hungry Hills in Worcs. The word hangra evidently means something like 'a bank', 'a hill- side', 'the slope of a hill'.
- circ.760 Huntenatun, Kemble.
- 1086 Huntenetune, Dom.
- circ.1215 Huntidune, Capes.
The first element is gen. plur. of O.E. hunta, 'a hunter', 'tun of the hunters'.
- 1086 Hantinetune, Dom.
- 1267 Huntinton, Inq. p.m.
- 1302 Huntyndon, Quo War.
- 1333 Hontyngdone, Capes.
Prob. the same as the preceding; the Dom. form being a scribe's mistake.
- 1282 Hunteland, Ep. Reg.
- 1304 Huntelond, Ep. Reg.
- 1340 Hunteleybroke, Acon. Accts.
- 1352 Huntelowe, Ep. Reg.
'The meadow of Hunta', or (in the other form) his 'hill'.
- 1186 Honson, Chart. St Florent & Monmouth.
- 1396 Honsom, Inq. p.m.
- 1655 Hunsome Mynde, Courtfield MS.
- 1671 Hansome, Herefordshire Hearth Tax List.
- 1714 Hunsome, Terrier.
- 1718 Huntsham, Goodrich marriage settlement.
- 1722 Hunsome, Terrier.
I cannot explain the old form, of which Huntsham is an 18th century corruption.
O.E. hyrst, 'a woody eminence', then 'a thicket of brushwood'.
- 1831 Hursten, Ord. Map.
- 1298 Hertesleye, Ep. Reg.
- 1333 Hurtesleye, Ep. Reg.
- no date Horteslee, Hurthesleg, Leom. Cart.
- 1547 Hurstesley, Ind. Ct R.
O.E. heortes-leah, 'hart's meadow'. In the 16th century it was confused with M.E. hurst, 'a wood'.
'Road through the wood'.
- 1086 Hide, Dom.
- temp. Hen. III la Hide, Her. Cath. MS.
- 1275 Hyda, Ep. Reg.
In Leom. Cart. passim Hida and La Hyde. O.E. hide, hyde, a measure of land, varying in different localities, originally as much as would support one family and their dependents. It seems, on an average, to have been about 120 acres. It is not uncommon as a place-name, some instances, as this, and the London Hyde (Park), going back to Dom. There is a Hyde (Farm) in Stanford Bishop, which is in 1243 Hida monachorum, 'una hida de elemos''. We have also Hyde Farm (Woolhope), Half-hide (Castle Frome), Westhide (Stoke Edith), Monkhide (Yarkhill), Bitterley Hyde (Pencombe), and Steward's Hide (Winslow) which is in 1250 Stiwardes Hide. In Leom. Cart. often occurs Wdehyd.Return to top of page