In Acon. Accts 1340 is 'le Wallett'. It has been conjectured that Titley Valletts is the (unidentified) Walelege of Dom. But J.H.R. thinks more probably Ailey in Eardisley.
-ett is N.-Fr. dim. ending (mod. Fr. -ette). Littlehampton (Sussex) is, in the 13th century, Hamptonett. Whether the root of the word Valletts is Vallis or Vallum we have not sufficient evidence to determine.
There are also 'Thruxton Valletts', 'Canon Valletts Wood' (still belonging to the Cathedral), and Lye Vallets in Hope-under-Dinmore.
- 1465 The Falde, Ind. Ct R.
- 1545 'Mawreden with Valde', Ind. Ct R.
- circ. 1583 'Valde alias Fenne', Aug. Of.
- 1586 'Overfenn & Netherfenn', Aug. Of. (holden of Marden by fealty).
O.E. fald, 'a sheep-fold'. The 16th century confusion with Fenne does not re-appear. The matter, however, is not quite clear, since in 1465 (Ind. Ct R.) 'Ferne alias Verne' is a 'member' of Marden.
- 1086 Fenne, Dom.
- 1303 La Fenne, F.A.
- 1327 Fenne-by-Avebury, Plac. de Banco.
- 1545 Venn, Ind. Ct R.
- 1551 Benne, Inq. p.m.
- 1567 le Venne, Fine R.
O.E. fenn, 'a marsh'.
The name is found elsewhere in the county. For the (lost) Venn near Marden, see Vauld. We have The Venn (Bodenham), The Verne (Bosbury), Black Venn (Edvin Ralph), Venwood (Bodenham), and Venmore (Dilwyn; so in 1525).
It is clear that throughout Herefordshire, as in other parts of England, vines were grown, and wine made in places even till late in the 17th century. We still have 'The Vineyard' in Hereford, Donnington, Weston Beggard, and Walterstone: and 'Vine' in some form or other survives also as an element in place- names in Bishop's Frome, Clehonger, Cradley, and Tarrington. In 1138 Marden had a vinea; and Bredwardine one circ. 1200. In 1276 Bishop Cantilupe writes of vinea nostra de Ledebury, and in 1289 this same vineyard yielded seven casks of white wine. Both red and white wine were made, by the Skipp family, on this vineyard until the end of the 17th century. In 1413 (Inq. p.m.) we find gardinum vocatum Wynyard in Goodrich; and Winiarde occurs (unlocated) in Leom. Cart.
- 1291 Fowchirche, Tax. Eccles.
- 1294 Fowechirche, Ep. Reg.
- 1316 Fowechirch, F.A.
- 1341 Fouechirch, Non. Inq.
- 1358 Foy (must be Vowchurch, since in same entry with Hinton and Stradhull), Ind. Ct R.
- 1432 Fouchurche, Ep. Reg.
- 1538 Vouchurch, Val. Eccles.
- 1577 Fowmynd, Saxton's Map.
- 1611 Fowchurch, Speed's Map.
- 1786 Vowchurch, Taylor's Map.
Possibly the 1358 scribe was right in his interpretation, and the first element is Nor.-Fr. foi (Lat. fides). The name would then be, like Foy (q.v.), 'Church of St Faith'. It may be, however, that, after all, the root is Nor.-French vou (Lat. volum). Eg. Phil. thinks that the Mafurn of Lib. Land. (which is certainly on the Dore) is Vowchurch.
Possibly W. ffrwd, 'a stream', 'torrent'.Return to top of page